This dusty, sprawling town is now the countries safari capital. Maun's center is dotted with modern shops and offices. The houses are traditionally built with thatched rondavels.
Maun has become the administrative center for the northern and western part of Botswana
Getting to Maun
Maun is well connected by scheduled Air Botswana flights they connect with Gaborone and Johannesburg every day, and with Kasane on Monday, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
The town also has a number of charter flights
Local buses are chaotic and are found at the local bus station around Tsaro Street, where the local market is.
To get around town a vehicle is useful in town, though you can use meter taxis. Small combies are used by the locals.
Activities in Maun
• Birding walks of between two hours and a whole day
• Maun Game Sanctuary on the northeast side of the Sekgoma Road, barely 2km from the center of town, this small, fenced park is only about 3km long by 1km wide. The sanctuary preserves the last of the natural habitat that used to be found in and around Maun – before goats and people wreaked havoc on its vegetation. Other animal species found here include blue wildebeest, red lechwe, kudu, impala, giraffe, chacma baboon, vervet monkey and a variety of smaller mammals.
• Fish eagles and crimson-breasted boubous are easily seen.
• Maun Sports Complex
About 2.5km southwest of the Engen Garage and the old turn-off to Francistown
• Crocodile Farm Follow the signs to the camp and farm about 2km down a sandy track
Accommodation in Maun
• Maun Lodge is a small efficient, modern hotel on the south bank of the Thamalakane River, next to the Tawana Road Bridge.
• a high lobby with a locally produced rug on the wall together with a trendy metal sculpture of pelicans.
• The lodge's rooms all have twin beds with ethnic-print covers, tea/coffee-making facilities, and a jug of water, en-suite bathroom and a flush toilet.
• Three star thatched Accommodations in Maun on the river bank
• air-conditioned rooms with bathroom, swimming pool in garden, cocktail bar, restaurant, on-site parking, hair salon and conference facilities
The Rileys Hotel
• The Riley's Hotel is located on the river bank in Maun, within walking distance to shops, 2km from the Maun Wildlife Sanctuary, 3km from the Maun Sports Club and airport, 10km from the central business district, 20km from the Crocodile and Ostrich farms.
Kagiso Guest House
• Quiet and secluded bed and breakfast atmosphere
• Accommodation in traditional thatched rondavels but with European standards.
• Kitchen and dining room are housed in the main house, breakfast is served in a pavilion under shady trees with beautiful views of the river and native bush.
• Barbecue facilities and a open fire place and a small camping area with its own facilities.
• Offers modern training facilities for workshops for up to 15 people.
Maduo Guest House
• 7 rooms About 6km from Maun's radio mast, on the way to Shorobe, opposite the Hotel Sedia
• Plain and simple, with basic en-suite rooms
• Offers bed and breakfast